Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year! 2009 so soon?

Happy new year to everyone! I hope everyone has been having some good time off and enjoyed themselves last night.

Our plans were to go to two parties, one in Glen Park, and one out in the Avenues. They were both house parties, and both close to transit. We figured avoiding the need for a cab was the best thing to do - they are impossible to get in the city on New Year's Eve.

We eventually got to the first party (we took a long walk due to confusion with the map), and immediately started in on the deadly punch. It was a fun party, very friendly people, and we all had silly hats and noisemakers for midnight. We also discovered that the noisemakers that unfurl a paper tube are much funnier when used in conjunction with a freon boat horn. Who'd'a' thunk? We left around 12:45 en route to party #2.

We got to the Civic Center with no trouble, and just missed the N train, which was the one we wanted. We waited around for a while, then heard the announcement that no more trains were coming, and that everyone should take the Owl bus at street level. Sigh. So up we went, along with about 20 other people. Kent and I were dressed for the cold, but there were some girls at the stop in little dresses, obviously freezing; three of them were trying to share a thin wrap. I was feeling kind of smug for being old and practical, I admit it.

So we waited. 10 minutes go by, then 15. Then we see our bus, not too packed, and it blows right by the stop despite everyone yelling at it. Since it's about 2 am by this point, and there's no other bus in sight and no cabs, we caught the train back to the east bay. It took about twice as long as usual, but we got home with no mishaps. My main problem last night was spilling drinks when I was still sober. Oops.

The wine bus on Tuesday was fun - about 20 of us went to Sonoma and stopped by three vineyards and a couple of bars. There was some questionable behavior (such as the VP of a small company deciding that a tree in Sonoma Square was the best place to pee - classy!), but it was a fun day and I can highly recommend the Sebastiani 2006 Barbera. It's a nice red, recommended for pairing with pasta and tomato sauce.

At the party last night we got to talking about resolutions. I'm dusting off my resolution from 2003, "to live in less fear". This was surprisingly easy but it takes some focus to be aware of when I'm shying away from something. I have to spot it, stop, and ask myself "What are you really afraid of?" The interesting part is, I usually can't think of anything, and that ends the problem then and there. I stick to one resolution a year, it's easier to stay focused.

What's your resolution?

No comments: