Saturday, February 27, 2010

brain dump

There is entirely too much going on.  Check it.

WEDDING
The wedding is now less than three weeks away.  I should be wearing my shoes right now to get them broken in, but am still holed up on the couch (see "sick", below).  There are a lot of things that need doing. 

  • I need to choose specifically which flowers to use in decor. 
  • I need to pester people who have not RSVP'd, including people who did RSVP but didn't put their names on the card or a return address on the envelope.  Ah the mysteries.  In some cases the postmark (or lack of) is the only clue.
  • I need to get the ceremony details worked out. 
  • I need a final count for the caterer which will also create final layouts and plans. 
  • I need to contact the caterer about borrowing or renting a couple of additional items. 
  • I need to see who we can get for videography.
  • I need to work out logistics plans to schedule which family members will be at the house when.
  • I need to figure out what things I am forgetting I need to do.
  • I need a valium.
I met with the planners on Thursday night and actually am a little more freaked out about details than I was.  Kent has action items that he will have to GET ON SOON. (hint hint hint)

MOM
Mom has had a week with big ups and downs and is having some odd emotional reactions (bad, dark-side ones, even to good news).    Her immunity is back up to acceptable levels, so she can walk around, eat raw fruits and vegetables, whatever she likes.  The rash which was causing concern turns out to be most likely a drug reaction to chemotherapy (signs are good, fingers crossed just in case!).  However, when she got the news this morning that it was not a worry, and that she could eat what she wanted and go whereever she wanted and would even be leaving the hospital earlier than expected, she got really upset and anxious.  I don't get it.  Someone will have to ask her what is going on - even get her to talk to one of the in-hospital counselors if possible.  Her being constantly freaked out is confusing and upsetting to people trying to help her.

I've asked if I should go back next weekend to help get her resettled at home (I should look into tickets), but was told only to do it if all the wedding stuff is done and we are idling.  I can pretty much guarantee that I will not be idling before April or May.  We'll see.

One good thing, when I talked to Mom today she was talking about coming out for the wedding.  Yes!  I hope she can make it.

SICK
I woke up this morning with a stomach ache.  It's nothing serious (like the dramatic food poisoning so many friends have seemed to be getting lately), but it's lingered, I've wasted the whole day hanging out on the couch instead of working on the wedding.  Not good.  I'm feeling better now but need to drink some water and try and get something constructive done.

BOOKS
I just finished "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest.  If you like steampunk, zombies, or Seattle, check it out.  I downloaded a free book, The Apothecary's Daughter", it had high reader ratings but I don't know what it's about.  We'll see.

BLOG
I just switched to the new Blogger posting and editing system.  I can now include jumps!  I'll do this in a future post and test my cliffhanger-writing skillz.  However, I haven't seen where they've hidden the spell check - so we'll see how many I've got here... later.

2 comments:

lynn @ human, being said...

OK--a week later:

I hope your tummy ache is better. Could it be related to stress? Deep breathing.

The flowers don't matter. Name your 3 favorites and leave it to the florist. (tulips, lilies, roses, done) Really. They will be beautiful.

The RSVPs--can any of your friends handle that for you? I know delegation is crazy with something like that, but you have too much going on.

The videographer: Call my brother in LA. I bet he'd come up and do it for you. Email me for #. i think he and your sis were friends in HS.

The chemo/reaction: the worse the reaction the better the cure! Or so I'm told.

And to all of us--here's a hug, and a wish for deep breathing and settling down in your world.

:* Lynn

Derende said...

Thanks Lynn! Stomach is much better, although with current stress levels anything is possible.

The RSVP's are all in now (thank goodness for email and my lack of perfect etiquette), and shockingly, the count is coming in at our initial estimate. w00t!

Videographer, we're following up with a guy that our planner (a professional photographer herself) recommended for us, but thank you very much for the recommendation! If anything happens and we do need his contact info, I will ping you ASAP. What's his name? I can ask Heather if she knows him.

Hope you're right about the reaction and the cure! Mom should be home today.

Thanks also for the support. Even when I can't think of what help to ask for, knowing that people are there and pulling for me makes a big difference!