Thursday, May 7, 2009

Turquoise??

Not painting tonight - I got home to check out the new wall color (more on this in a minute), considered putting on a second coat, but didn't want to paint until 10 pm for the third night in a row. Instead, I taped window frames until I ran out of tape, then came home.

I put the first coat of paint on the walls last night, and it was nothing short of horrifying. On the chip the color is a warm blue. In the paint pan it's bright turquoise. BRIGHT. I went ahead and painted anyway, since I've been freaked out by paint colors enough with decent outcomes I knew not to panic right away. It was looking bright blue on the closet walls, and then I started painting the room walls, which were already purple. So, in one area, I had midtone purple and bright turquoise going on all at once, and the pink in the purple vibrating off the green in the turquoise, and it was like a pastel Easter nightmare. Like a Peep had thrown up on my walls. GAH.

I'm happy to report that it looked much less nauseating when I went to check it out after work, when everything had dried. Whew.

I may have written that I jacked up my knee a week ago Monday, at the gym. It was still feeling not-right on Monday this week so I went to talk to a PT (physical therapist) at work who mostly helps people with back pain. In short, I was diagnosed with an "overuse injury", where my kneecap has been ground into the groove in my femur. WTF! It sounded pretty dramatic. I've been told to ice it and take anti-inflammatories, and to stretch my hamstrings more since they are so tight they're exerting extra force on my knees. It's been getting better since a couple of days after it happened, but I'll be back to gym workouts soon, I hope. (I've been spending this week's gym time painting since I didn't want to exacerbate the knee problem)

I am trying to do a little shopping online but I don't see why people like it for clothes and shoes - it's amazing how much really bad fashion is readily available and I don't have the patience to click through all of that.

2 comments:

Creekwalker said...

"...kneecap has been ground into the groove of my femur." Does that mean there has been bone-on-bone contact? Arthritis, here we come!

Considering my 25 years of bike riding without ever stretching and the fact my hamstrings are taut enough to shoot arrows (I've never been able to comfortably bend over and touch my toes), it's a wonder I don't have some kind of knee or hip overuse symptoms.

BTW, what were you doing to have messed up your knee?

Derende said...

Hopefully not on the bone on bone contact! There should be a lot of stuff in between there - I think it was just pressure which caused inflammation which caused more pressure etc.

There wasn't a specific impact and injury (ie landing wrong and then feeling sharp pain in the knee), the knee just started feeling funny about 45 min into the workout.

That said, I suspect it was the "jump over 4 high steps in a row over and over" circuit.

I have the same problem with my hamstrings as you do. I need to work more on getting those stretched out.