Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sleep? For the weak!

Oh boy, it's really hitting the fan now, kids! I get the keys to the new house tomorrow (we signed closing docs on Friday and did a walk through on Sunday - too bad they ripped up the attached stair runner, but oh well!). I need to remember to call utilities etc tomorrow too to get set up, also to give something to the realtor to show that we've taken possession of the house.

I am still simultaneously trying to prepare my house for market. I spent about an hour and a half there tonight after work, sanding down the latest layer of drywall compound and wiping the dust off (plaster dust in the eyes burns like holy water). I also got some bids today for painting the last room (it will take a pro 2 days to do that room, as opposed to my normal 2 weeks for a room that size), and cleaning up the joint. I also got a preliminary list of things that the realtors want to keep in the house for staging. There are some things not mentioned, so I'll have to double check on those. In at least two cases, not leaving a bookcase will be a bit of a problem, since they are bolted to the wall (more wall repair, yay). Sadly, I think I will have to take down my art. Too arty for the general public, I guess. And I need to pull all junk from the garage into the back yard for the haulers.

So now comes the fun of renovation, packing (lord help us, not packing! I've lived there for 8 years accumulating stuff!), making all arrangements for a move (it will cost $176/day for a permit to block off a space in front of the house for a truck and they need more than 3 days notice - oh and we have to get the permit in person)... make that two moves. One for the stuff I have to get out before staging, one for the stuff I'll have to move when the staging is finished. One of those will have all of Kent's stuff, too. Luckily that second batch should be lighter, but bulky. And another $176/day for the space reservation. Sigh. At least my friends will be happy to hear we're hiring movers this time. I already threatened death if I'm made to move that cal king bed frame myself, again. We'll also have to pay the movers extra to bring an antique icebox (heavy) down a flight of stairs.

What else... oh, Kent is aiming for an early grave by asking me where I want individual items to be put in the new house. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Need to focus on other things right now, hon!!!

Oh yeah, and I'm back at work now. Our work team spent a couple of hours today painting at the Bay Area Rescue Mission. It was a huge room, but I think as much paint ended up on the floor (and some coworkers) as ended up on the ceiling and walls. I wasn't happy with the final product (I would never have left it like that in my own house), but was told that we were done and that another team would be doing the touch ups.

We had a great thunderstorm last weekend, followed by some pretty heavy rain. Lots of leaves were knocked down, marking the start of the Crazy Leaf Lady fall season. She's back with her little dogshit piles of leaves dotted around the property. Shame she has nothing else to do all day. At least the security camera is working again, so if anything amusing turns up, I'll post it.

Oh, and speaking of dogshit - either the bag in my trash left as a present last week didn't get tipped out, or the SAME PERSON left another present for me. GRRRRRRR.

I'm sure there's more but I'm a little tired and the synapses are firing randomly. Most of the burning man gear is clean (except for the tarps), and I have pictures downloaded. Just need some time to filter and post them. Movies too.

And so then I zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

3 comments:

Creekwalker said...

I'd begun to think you were part daemon due to your frequent references to lack of sleep and incessant work. Now I have proof (... burns like holy water.)

Moving is always hell no matter how long you've spent in a place. We moved to the Denver area after only two months in an SSF apartment. You're whining about an eight year collection of stuff, try 35 years. Our ever-expanding pile is one of the reasons I doubt we'll ever leave this place. Of course, that will make it you kids' problem. (Have fun!)

Is the $176/day for SF (my guess), El Cerrito, Berkeley or the lot of them?

Anonymous said...

the prospect of packing and moving after living in my place for 5 years--even with the frequent purging I do--is enough to make me say HELL NO.

Good luck. Please post pics!

Derende said...

I will post pics! I now have the keys and will go by there this weekend (probably with a few boxes of books - I have more books than boxes).

Moving totally sucks. Thank goodness I purge stuff now and then. Even so, when I lived in DC for a year and thought I was being totally minimalist, I still had 9 pretty big boxes that were a PITA to get ready and moved.

Dad - you could purge YOUR stuff! It's really not that bad once you start. Also the $176 is SF only. Parking is not that big a deal in the burbs.